Jun 14, 2013

Fairy Houses - DIY Milk Carton Flower Fairy Home


Yesterday I suddenly had inspiration to create a new kind of fairy house that could be used as a flower pot too. I'm very pleased with the result especially since I can finally recycle our milk cartons into fairy houses.



 Like always this is very easy to create!

1 - You need a used, well rinsed milk carton (the ones in Holland have a spout that can be used to water the plants).
2 - Prick a hole in the side of the carton with scissors and cut out 2 square windows. You can use the flaps to create shutters, but this time I just removed them.
3 - Fill the bottom with some soil and fill the carton with succulents till just above the square windows.
Optional; cut the support bar between the windows to easily fill the carton with plants. Later you can restore it when you cover the carton with barch.
4 - Cover the entire sides of the carton with barch and moss and create a barch roof using a hot glue gun. And finally decorate the house with pressed flowers, moss, snail shells and feathers.


These homes will attract the flower fairies of the plants that are growing inside.
Good luck and I wish you a magical weekend!
Shared on;
The Magic Onions - Friday's Nature Table
Natural Suburbia - Creative Friday
Made by Joey - Sharing Creative Ideas
Frontier Dreams - Keep Calm Craft On
Like Mama Like Daughter - Eco-Kids Tuesday

15 comments:

  1. oh, sas, I wish my home were blooming like your little house here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing to say Pamela, thank you :)

      Delete
  2. Precioso trabajo!!
    Un abrazo y feliz fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Silvina,
      sending one right back to you ...xxx!

      Delete
  3. This is magical Sas! absolutely magical! WOW... thanks :) .. Vani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for your lovely comment Vani :)

      Delete
  4. This is a great idea! That is going to be one happy plant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to like it so far haha :)
      Thank you Jennifer and I wish you a wonderful Sunday,
      xxx sas

      Delete
  5. This is beautiful! What a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, it looks lovely as wall decor too :)

    Warm greetings
    xxx sas

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful. Like always! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday! I hope you join us again today! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/06/eco-kids-tuesday_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now this is pretty! I just finished making my first fairy house and fairy tree, so finding your blog has been a great find! (I found it through Pinterest via your ADORABLE snail shells fairy house). I just started putting together a new fairy house, with cardboard milk cartons this time, but I can't get started because no matter how much I scrub and scrub and scrub... that sour milk smell keeps returning. Do you have any ideas on how I can fix that? I rinsed and scrubbed them with witch hazel last night, but nothing's worked permanently so far.

    Again... LOVE your blog and creations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome Kristin so nice to see you here!
    The reason why I use milk cartons for these fairy house planters is because of the coating inside the cartons. This way when you water the plants inside the house the water won't leak out the cartons. I think you better choose a different carton box without coating when you want to make an empty fairy house. When you fill the cartons with plants you won't smell the milk in the coating....Good luck :) xxxsas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's what I need to do then... incorporate plants. I always want to upcycle/recycle to build my fairy houses, so the milk cartons seemed a good idea.

      And this is definitely the best way to learn; through trial and error and asking questions, so... thanks for replying!

      Delete
    2. That is so true Kristin, trial and error are the basis of each form of creativity.
      And if there is one person who knows everything about that it's me hihi.
      Thank you for sharing :) xxx

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting!

Please make the circle round by sharing
your thoughts, questions or inspiration!

I would love to hear from you,

xx sas

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...